PPRA Hiring a Park Facilitator for Seniors Drop-in Program – Apply by July 9, 2021
LOCATION: Plouffe Park behind Plant Recreation Centre, 930 Somerset St. W.
RENUMERATION: To be negotiated in accordance with the qualifications of successful candidate
JOB DESCRIPTION: July 15th- August 31st. 8 hours a week for 6 weeks (Tues. and Thurs. mornings).
- Provide a welcoming destination and environment outside at Plouffe Park for seniors to gather, chat, meet new people, and engage in recreational activities in an outdoor COVID-19 compliant and friendly environment.
- Make available and set up activities outdoors to suit to a wide range of mobility, fitness levels, and abilities: For example; badminton, bean bag toss, bocce, checkers, chess, croquet, mah-jong, oware , pickle ball, ping pong, quizzes, sketching, spike ball, walking routes.
- Ensure everything is tidied up and stored neatly in the Plouffe Room at end of session.
- Ensure the sessions are conducted in accordance with the COVID-19 regulations at the time (distancing, numbers gathering in one place, masks, hand sanitation etc., record keeping of participants attending and their contact information for contact tracing).
- Provide a written report at the end of this pilot program listing highlights and suggestions for improvements in future, and daily registration sheets and list of activities undertake each session.
- a friendly and engaging personality with a genuine empathy for others
- a passion for meeting and socializing with a wide variety of seniors with very varied backgrounds and interests
- a passion for physical activity and being outdoors as a important aspect for mental and physical health
- a true enjoyment in trying new games and developing new skills and accomplishments
- an interest in record keeping as a means of recognizing successes and reflecting on future changes
- an ability to gently encourage others to try new things and develop new skills
- languages in addition to English an asset
- first aid certification and police check will be required prior to starting the job
SUBMIT APPLICATION to email@example.com by July 9, 2021
Funded by the Healthy Communities Initiative, Government of Canada
What is the Plant Pool Recreation Association (PPRA)?
The PPRA is a non-profit, community-based organization, that aims to improve our community by increasing access to recreation opportunities and spaces at the City of Ottawa Plant Recreation Centre (Plant Bath) and Plouffe Park. The PPRA draws membership from citizens city-wide concerned about community development, as well as past and present users of Plouffe Park, and facilities at the Plant Recreation Centre.
Membership is open to all interested persons, and involvement can be geared to your schedule. Some members are signed on in a support-only category, or for specific programs/events, while others take an active role in programs, meetings and advocacy.
PPRA at Work…
The PPRA offers summer programming for children at the Plouffe Park. Activities include sports, games, and arts & crafts. The summer program provides opportunities for children to develop skills in all types of sports.
In partnership with the City of Ottawa, the PPRA provides winter programming at Plouffe Park, including a high-board ice rink, as well as a free skate area. The Plouffe Room is open for winter skaters and manned by helpful PPRA volunteers and staff. The PPRA provides a collection of skates and hockey equipment free for anyone to use.
The PPRA also provides free swim passes to the Plant Recreation Centre pool for families in our community.
Partnering with local schools to provide swimming lessons for school aged children at the Plant Recreation Centre pool is another PPRA initiative. Along with increasing access to the pool and weight room for local non-profit programs through partnerships with the City of Ottawa’s affordable fitness program for women, “Woman Alive”, the “Seniors Connection” program and the Somerset West Community Health Centre.
In the summer, PPRA volunteers assist with maintaining the street view garden.
PPRA programs are supported by active fundraising and invaluable volunteer efforts.
Questions? Want to get involved ? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org